Unemployment Insurance (UIF)
The Unemployment Insurance Act provides protection to workers who become unemployed. It prescribes claiming unemployment benefits for unemployment, maternity benefits, illness benefits, adoption benefits and dependents’ benefits.
- workers working less than 24 hours a month for an employer;
- public servants;
- foreigners working on contract;
- workers who get a monthly State (old age) pension; or
- workers who only earn commission.
Domestic employers and their workers are included under the Act since 1 April 2003
Application for registration as an employer with the UIF : In order to register as employers with the UIF this form must be completed and submitted to the UIF by all employers.
Form UI-6A – Declaration to confirm unemployment status in terms of section 17(4) read with regulation 3(3)
- Form UI-6A – Declaration to confirm unemployment status in terms of section 17(4) read with regulation 3(3).pdf
Application for illness benefits
Application for maternity benefits